Saturday, February 23, 2008

Small things, Great Love

Back at mom's computer again, this time having just returned from my Grandpa George's memorial service. Beautiful, eccentric, and so grandpa george. People told stories of how they knew and loved him--as a simple dude, quick to smile, devoted to his family, church,...and his truck driving. I will always know him as the old guy who loved basking in the sun, eating spam and mayo on wonderbread, and also as the grump who growled at me if I was too whiny. To be honest, he didn't seem like a superhero to me, but at this memorial, the stories and love flowed, glowing of moments when his simple smile, firm handshake, and quick jokes warmed hearts and welcomed strangers into friendship.

I remember over and over the quote by Mother Theresa: "We can only do small things with great love." At the end of life, its not the big things that we remember (at least not for most of us) but the small, quirky stories where we felt loved and happy to be alive. Small things, like driving a bus full of kids to camp, or greeting people at church, go a long way to awaken people to the love that is all around. I'm thankful for his spam-loving, grumpy-smiling, pie-lovin' self.

Peace, Gramps.

No comments: